Xml
Item Posts   

locked ignition

| 
peekab00 peekab00
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/21/06
12:08 AM

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer. Had this happen once before on old Explorer years ago and don't remember what hubby did to fix it. Apparently when I turned the car off and removed the key, I pulled on the steering wheel to the left - causing it to 'lock' and now I am unable to turn the car on. Key goes in, cant turn it forwards or backwards. Any ideas????

PLEASE HELP ASAP SO I DON'T HAVE TO CALL AAA.....  

h3nry h3nry
Enthusiast | Posts: 441 | Joined: 04/06
02:13 AM

sounds like you basically engaged the steering wheel lock, which causes the igniton lock too.  this might work but i've never tried it on and explorer, just so you know:  turn the key in the ignition and try turn the wheel left or right and see if that disengages the steering wheel/ignition lock.  If it doesn't work you can always your husband or AAA.=)  

Civic2Koo4U Civic2Koo4U
New User | Posts: 36 | Joined: 08/06
11:17 AM

When the wheel is locked and you try to turn it you notice that you can still turn it ever so slightly left or right. Well do that but this time try to center the wheel in that small degree of turn. Hold the wheel at this center point and try to turn the key at the same time.  

automotivejtm-#001 automotivejtm-#001
Guru | Posts: 1019 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 08/22/06
07:53 AM

if the wheel is locked, just grab the wheel as if you were going to turn it, either to the left or right, and that should allow you to turn the key  

maccue maccue
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 04/13/12
01:41 AM

hi,
Go through ur problem it is very difficult to turn the key lock in that situation.It is better to contact a locksmith services http://www.locksmith-in-chicago.com/ immediately.it is the better way to unlock the car.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 04/13/12
05:55 AM

this is a long out of date post...

but... when the lock cylinder turns freely.. and does not activate the ignition switch electrical section..

there is a slide device inside the steering column ..

slightly earlier than mentioned models of the fords used an actuator like this...  this takes a professional about an hour to install..   without pulling the column..  this fits ford tilt columns 80 to 92

in 1992/93 ford changed styles of column..   there is a small pin that works its way out of its hole and then everything stops.. ...  either the key won't turn on the car.. or it won't turn off the car..  just rotates freely..  the column really has to come out of the car to get at this..  i have done them in the car.. but you have to understand.. i have been doing this for 30 years..  

there are a few sites with instructions..  

mikesteve mikesteve
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 05/04/12
11:08 PM

It is very difficult situation to face .It will be very hard to do it our self. There is a need of locksmith service providers like general locksmith. By going through http://www.generallocksmith.com/ you will definitely find a solution for the problem.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Ford Explorer
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
SUV
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com