Xml
Item Posts   

Replacing third brake light in Ford Explorer

| 
ECURyan ECURyan
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/16/06
06:56 AM

My third brake light is out and I'm being sold that I need to replace the entire ***  Is this normal with 96 Explorers or can I simply replace the bulbs?  

vwhobo vwhobo
User | Posts: 126 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/16/06
08:26 AM

Icon QuoteECURyan:
My third brake light is out and I'm being sold that I need to replace the entire ***  Is this normal with 96 Explorers or can I simply replace the bulbs?

Stop and think about your question for just a minute.  Someone sitting behind their computer on the other side of cyberspace has no way of knowing if you can just replace the bulbs or if the circuit board needs to be replaced.  You on the other hand can install new bulbs to see if that works.  Simple.

The right way to test it is with a DVOM or test light to see if you're getting power to the light cluster.  If not, the problem is somewhare upstream.  If you are then check at the circuit board contacts.  If there's no power there, then you have isolated the problem.  You can get a new circuit board at any decent parts place for about $10.  Motormite part number 70003 rings a bell but check to make sure.  

skeetshooter skeetshooter
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/18/07
04:52 PM

Where is this circuit board located, is this the same as the ballast?  My 1996 Explorer's third brake light is not operating.  I know how to access the third brake light but need to know where the PC board/ballast is located.  I can use a VOM.  Skeetshooter  

CONSERVATOR CONSERVATOR
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 05/14/09
09:08 AM

Check out     http://realbrightleds.com/  

bbqbrisket bbqbrisket
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/10/09
05:19 AM

try http://realbrightleds.com

I was very impressed with this.  

erniet.bass erniet.bass
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/18/09
07:18 PM

I am trying the realbrightleds solution now.  At this writing, I am on the second hour of attempting to separate the high center stop light lens from the high center stop light body (following the instructions carefully). I recommend that anyone considering purchasing the realbrightleds solution for Explorer high center brake light replacement (more like rebuilding anyway) carefully consider the required assembly time, patience, etc.  I certainly would not choose to do it this again. If it fails again, I'm off to the salvage yard.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 12/18/09
08:08 PM

looks like dorman makes the entire high mounted stop light...  and it bypasses the ballast..

Lighting, Brake Light

Item Number Description  Dorman # 923-202  
Ford Explorer 1997-95; Mercury Mountaineer 1997.
Type: Third Brake Light Assembly
Description: Designed to bypass the ballast
Brand: Dorman - OE Solutions

autozone and others sell it under part number

Dorman / High Mount Stop Light
Price:$179.99
Part Number: 70050

WOW>... thats a bunch of money... for a third brake light...

there is one thing... if this has a ballast..   and the light has failed... i would examine the UNPLUGGED ballast...   with a big lens... look for cracked , thermally damaged solder joints..  and rings in the solder joints..  

i cannot tell you how many parts i have fixed by soldering the damaged circuit boards..   but.. these ballasts have high voltage in them... so care is required...  it can be a shocking situation.. i have not had or seen this ballast yet..  so i don't know if it is repairable.. but i would really want to take a look...  

coffeecake coffeecake
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/17/10
03:20 PM

How long did it finally take you? Another question, are you normally pretty mechanically inclined? I am curious- about to order my own part...  

bbqbrisket bbqbrisket
Posted: 05/15/10
04:14 PM

I got the Real Bright  and it took me about 2 hours.  I thought it was a lot but the instructions are pretty much the same if I had bought the Dorman for $150 and the dealer also charges for more than 2 hours of time.

I'm satisfied with it.  

bbqbrisket bbqbrisket
Posted: 06/24/10
09:26 AM

Try realbrighleds.com  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: