Xml
Item Posts   

C.V.T.

| 
Burtreyn0lds Burtreyn0lds
Enthusiast | Posts: 538 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 07/14/06
02:27 AM

I've noticed that nissan has been hyping the cvt transmission in there cars, i remember audi was doing this a couple of years ago, has anyone ever driven a car with the cvt? what was your opinion on it if you have.  

DjGiant DjGiant
Enthusiast | Posts: 322 | Joined: 06/06
08:48 AM

Allthough it does not technically have a CVT, the Toyota Prius' "power split device" is practically the same thing.  I've had the chance to check it out and I was impressed.  You never have to shift, the car just constantly accelerates, and the rpms just climb at a steady pace.  Its actually a quite wierd sensation of driving without shiftshock.  Now think of the amount of gas your saving without having to have your RPMs climb so high between shifts.  Now balance that with the inability to downshift for extra power.  

h3nry h3nry
Enthusiast | Posts: 441 | Joined: 04/06
09:14 AM

isn't the principle of the CVT that you can drive in the max hp band the whole time, that's why theres no shift shock, so i dont think you would want to downshift since you wouldn't gain any power...i think that's right...  

DjGiant DjGiant
Enthusiast | Posts: 322 | Joined: 06/06
09:30 AM

Yeah, it balances between more torque to get you rolling to more hp to keep you rolling.  It does so by using a continously changing gear ratio.  But I'm just saying once you ARE rolling, you have no way to downshift to get that shift-shocky lurch of power.  

h3nry h3nry
Enthusiast | Posts: 441 | Joined: 04/06
10:39 AM

but you don't need the shift shocky lurch of power because you're essentially running at max power.  

vwhobo vwhobo
User | Posts: 126 | Joined: 07/06
11:15 AM

Driving a CVT equipped car is in a word cool.  At first it's a bit disconcerting because it seems at thought your clutch or transmision is slipping all the time.  However, once you get used to it you find it's nice to have the engine in the fat part of the torque curve when you want to go.  Back in the early nineties when I lived in the UK, we owned a Volvo 340 with a VDP style CVT.  As long as you didn't try to do drag racing starts they were dependable as the day is long.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: